Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Highest Amount of Supercharged Boost on Stock Internals?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    while everyones getting mis-readings from their upgraded pullies.....

    With the base JRSC kit(6psi)my gauge read 6psi. After adding the ENDYN stepper, it saw 10psi, and 11psi when in 4th/5th gear.

    The 6psi gave me a dyno of 210.8whp and 153.8wtq. Putting the stepper on i dynoed at 246.6whp, and 188wtq. Most of that torque was around 3000rpms...........right were i liked it [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Tony

  2. #22
    Inactive Member 217gsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wish I had as much luck as MaxPsiGT! Unfortunately, AFTER I was strapped to the dyno, the shop informed me that their dyno did not read in SAE measurements. In fact, they couldn't even tell me which correction their dyno uses!! All they said to me was the most cars dyno less on their dyno, but higher on SAE corrected dynojets. By the way, NEVER get dynoed at Pan Autosport (Lemon Grove, I believe).

    After strapping me on, the guy made 3 half-attempts. He stopped because he said that the A/F monitor that he was using showed that I was too LEAN. I told him that this was not the case, and to go on tuning.

    By the end of 3 max hp. runs, I tuned to 198 hp @ 7500 rpm (11.9 a/f) and a max of 148.22 ft-lbs torque @ 6250 rpms (12.6 a/f). This was with 101 octane gas, 16 degrees timing, and 0 degrees on the timing retard. I tuned LESS than I did before. Eventually, I'll retune on a reliable dynojet. [img]frown.gif[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim: Yeah. 12psi on the gauge. Here's my "boost" history...

    6psi + AEM CAI + RSR 4-2-1 + stock cat + Greddy PE (60mm-70mm) + Valves as adjusted from factory = 8psi on gauge.

    6psi + AEM CAI + RSR 4-2-1 + 2.25" straight pipe + Greddy PE (60mm-70mm) + Valves adjusted to stock spec = 7.5psi on gauge.

    CRV Pulley (10psi) + 3" short intake + Kami 4-1 (2.5" collector) + 2.25" straight pipe + Greddy PE (60mm-70mm) + no change in valves = 12psi on gauge.

    Really cold days send boost up to 12.5psi. Put the stock cat on my 10psi setup and boost hits 13.5psi.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 17, 2002 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Holden ]</font>

  4. #24
    Inactive Member exciv2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    164
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor=""><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JRCivic:
    Can I still come out and ski with you ???

    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Eh, sure! But if you can make an alternator pulley (I assume you have a machine shop that makes them out of blanks of some sort) then you should also make smaller blower pulleys. Anything is cheaper than JR!

  5. #25
    Inactive Member hypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2001
    Posts
    88
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Holden, I noticed you mentioned your valves in the above post. Have you experimented with different valve adjustments?


    vactor, I'll check into my cat asap. It makes sense though, and it's a somewhat cheap fix.
    [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey Jim, since I'm still running a stock exhaust, do u think upping the boost to 9psi with either a stepper or crv pulley will be too much boost for stock exhaust.

    I know im robbing myself of power, but I'm still trying to work on a a quiet 2.5" exhaust system (trying to find a JDM type r exhaust to modify since its 2.5").

    Would running 9psi with stock header and exhaust cause any detrimental harm to my engine if i had it tuned well using Zip's SMC?

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really dont see why you would bother.

    With 9psi you would be losing 15+whp with that stock exhaust. I think the gains would be hardly noticeable and the restrictive exhaust may cause excess heat buildup.

    I have a GREDDY SP exhaust. It is quiet. Get a high flow cat instead of a straight pipe, and you will be fine as far as noise goes. The SP seems to be pretty quiet. I put a straight pipe in and my exhaust got 3x louder. Dont get the 5Zigen Muffler(loud rice crap), or any cheap knockoff or domestic muffler like a Flowmaster, Borla, Dynomax. Seems like the Tanabe exhaust are loud too.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 24, 2002 10:24 PM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>

  9. #29
    Inactive Member reddelsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2000
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a "hybrid" Greddy sp exhaust.

    The greddy was pretty quiet except on highway drives it could make an awful drone. Later on, I quieted it down with a another short resonator (it comes with it's own, a bit longer).

    Then later I wanted to open it up a bit more. I had the muffler section cut off and replaced with a bigger 2.5inch unversal stainless steel muffler I found at PepBoys. (don't laugh too hard, I like the sound of it better and so do two of my friends, it's richer and deeper). (I kept the greddy piece figuring I could have it welded back on if it turned out to be a bad idea)

    Strangely, it's both louder and softer than the greddy. Cruising, it's quieter, but accelerating it's lounder, but not unpleasant.

    The muffler guy also modified some of the flange areas of the exhaust around the cat to remove some restrictions.

    Screwing around with a "system" can mess with the overall hp, but I'm still glad I did it. I'm assuming I probably picked up some horses, but I don't really know.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Any type of exhaust system... with at least a 60mm internal diameter... should work fine at the boost levels you speak of. Larger is overkill (meaning that 3" is absolutely NOT necessary), but 2.5" would be fine.

    Stock does give up a few ponies... but I don't think it is 15. More like half of that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •